Tuesday, January 20, 2009

CONGRATS PRESIDENT OBAMA

What a moment we just witnessed. A black man officially named President of the United States. This accomplishment can not be overstated. I feel a great sense of pride because now the overwhelming image of a black man is not a drug dealer or thief. It's not a deadbeat dad. It's not a rapper or athlete. It's a Harvard grad. It's a black man married to a black woman. It's an image of intelligence, confidence, and strength. Say what you will but he is the right person for this job. I only have one concern. Its the notion that since we have a black president all is well in black America. Many have reference ML K's "I have a dream speech", saying that Barack is that dream. I think that Barack was in that dream but what Dr. King in visioned was much larger than The president and I'm sure even he would admit that. We all have a role to play and lets help him. Don't sit around waiting for him to help you. Over the course of his 1st term in office lets see black high school dropout rates go down. Lets see less black men going to jail. Lets see more black college grads. He can't make all of that happen on his own. Everyone is calling him an inspiration and I agree with that tag but I'm sure there will be days when he need inspiration and what better way to make sure he has it than by doing our part as black Americans and getting off our asses and making a difference wherever we can. Think about it. 

1 comment:

Cherna said...

I agree 200% babe! I have decided to start dedicating, at the very least, 1 day a month to serving my community. What plans have you made once you realized we ALL need to do something and not sit around and watch Barack?

 

Dream Weaver Hit Counter
Cheap Florists Online